Monday, October 5, 2009

Well this isn't good news.

The day after I ate the first of my cactus pear popsicles, I felt sort of achey, and the skin on my back was sensitive.  I asked my older daughter how she felt, and she was fine.  My symptoms lasted about a day.  Last night we had popsicles again, and this time my three year old joined us.  By about midnight, I was experiencing the achey feelings again.  Shortly there after our three year old came into our room and proceeded to hurl all over our sheets.  She had a rough night, but as of this morning she seems fine.  Both my wife and older daughter experienced no symptoms.

I did a quick Google search, and discovered that about 1% of adults and up to 2% of children have an allergy or at least a sensitivity to carmine, the chemical that give prickly pear fruits their color.  It is apparently a commonly used food additive.  The list of potential symptoms for this allergy is about a mile long, but both nausea and aches made the list.

I don't know for certain that this is what we experienced, but neither of us will be eating any more of the popsicles, just to be safe.  At some point in the future, I need to get both of us tested for the allergy.  It's never bothered me before.

Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment